Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Just a quick hello.....

... to say that I am in Bangkok and alright, except for my big toenail on my right foot, which has died off completely and was pulled out today. Bloody and painful - much more so than wat i had thought! Yes, I know, I am lazy keeping up with where I am and what has been going on here. And no time is no excuse. I think I just need some space to digest all the impressions before writing about them - and even now it seems a bit fake, generalized, crammed. Mayeb I put too much thought into it?

I flew to Bangkok in the beginning of last week and spent two days in this huge city going around various markets and the must-see touristattractions, i.e. all the temples. Everything takes some time, especially since a lot of water (and thus a toilet in regular intervals) is an absolut necessity: it's too hot and humid to feel good without! Moreover, public transport is only efficient in the eastern part of the town with a cool skytrain carrying passengers above (most) rooftops (yielding some greatpictures) and a brand-new subway line. The west relies on boats, tuk tuks, buses and taxis only. A complete chaos!

Thursday last weekI left by bus to Cambodia - google for the Poipet border crossing and you will come up with a lot of horror stories about scams, 18h- bus trips etc. One reason I was a bit freaked out... well, everything went fine (yeah, the road is dusty and bumpy) and I got to Siem Reap the same evening. I spent two days at the Temples of Angkor - an amazing experience- and then went back the same way. What is there to sayabout Cambodia? One of the poorest and least developed countries of the world (according to the UN, 2004). The official currency is the Riel, but nothing moves without USD. Until recently, there was 1 (one!) ATM in the whole country (in Pnomh Penh). The roadsare dirt and turn into mud each afternoon when it rains. Kids are selling all kinds of stuff for "uon dolla" everywhere. There are a lot of beggars which in the evenings are kept out of the "tourist" part of Siem Reap with fences. The nature and cultural heritage are amazing. Still digesting the combination....

And now I have to run to pick up my suits. Tomorrow I will be on my flight back to HK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home