Monday, May 29, 2006

Black spots in space

I just logged into blogger and realized that it has been exactly two weeks since I have been writing anything at all. Not much, but still- half a month! And I wonder how it feels for someone opening the page time after time with no real new content on it… No hard feelings…
For the first time, I do not know what to write about. I feel completely empty. Hollow. With a black whole inside which - according to Kepler's 1st law of planetary motion (I just learned that so I thought I should brag about it) - absorbs everything with accelerating speed (planets move about the sun in an elliptical orbit with constantly varying distance to the sun). The feeling is recurring and often creeps into my consciousness when a certain period of time is coming to an end- like a year at uni or now my exchange.

People are leaving every day, some quietly, sneaking out of goodbyes, others not. And the parties get wilder! Saturday night people went swimming in the school pool at 5 a.m. (and were consequently kicked out by the guards) after a heavy night in Wanchai. Wednesday we went to Club 97 and Balalaika (a lot of Vodka); the fun is forced to a certain extend, since the feeling of finality is hanging like mist among us.

My friends from Finland (yes, the Hong Count has approached zero!), Dani and Martin, left last Saturday (May 27th) after one eventful week. I took them to the dragon boat training in Stanley on the first day and this although they were completely exhausted (I am very proud!). The rest of the week was what one could almost call the "basic Hong Kong Tour"- same, same but different! Unfortunately I had to study quite a bit during the week since I had three finals and got slightly stressed. Bad timing, but nobody knew at the time the flights were booked. Saturday and Sunday we spent however together the three of us, Monday through Wednesday I studied and did my exams - somewhat well (or then not, results this week), but to be honest I do not really care…. I just want to pass so as to not having to give back any scholarship (e.g. Liikesivistysrahasto). We met in the evening and went out to Sai Kung (Thai this time), the horse races in Happy Valley and to Soho (Cru, Italian food).
We went of course to Mongkok (my favorite HK neighborhood), where after intensive browsing I bought Converse-shoes. What a transformation! At least mentally although I will not wear them until I get back to Finland since I sent them back with the boys… (as I did with all my uni books, my new ibook and some extra clothes…right now I have exactly clothes fitting into a 15l backpack and nothing else…. One can live very minimalistically! Let’s see how much stuff I will have bought upon returning home!)

The Avenue of Stars/Symphony of Lights was in the program as was LKF, the Star Ferry, Chi Lin and Hong Kong Park and the Peak. We also spent quite some time in TST in the Art Museum (great Rothko exhibition), the Space Museum (see Kepler *smile*) and the Museum of History - mainly because the weather was really bad all week (humid and raining). We had two sunny days in the end *lucky, lucky* and now it s back to raining again. For some cool pictures of HK and me with my washed (grown) out semi-blond hair (irreparable as an expert hairdresser at Toni and Guy in Causeway Bay told me yesterday – if I do not want to shave my head completely bold (and I am seriously considering that!), check out Martin’s blog (link in the sidebar under: sMARTINtellectual).

Concerning my summer plans: there is no job and no detailed plan… right now it looks like I am leaving for Shanghai this Friday (and I do not have a flight yet, a problem I will hopefully fix tomorrow), then going to Beijing next week. After that some traveling around China until mid-summer, after which I will meet my dad in Christchurch (NZ). Back in Finland in mid-July (around the 14th). It is about time to GO HOME! But as said: I have no flights yet! But it will all work somehow….

2 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Good luck in the race!! Wish we were there to "help" :D

6:20 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Good luck in the race! Wish we were there to "help" :)

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home